Indramat Servo Motor Repair
Indramat servo motor repair is as complex as it is difficult. Most of the challenge is derived from the multitudes feedback found on Indramat servo motors. Servotech is knowledgeable about every form of feedback used by Indramat. We have the ability to test, repair, and if necessary replace Indramat encoders, resolvers, hall and tachometer assemblies, as well as the newer motors that sport Stegmann encoders. Each motor is subject to Servotech’s stringent refurbishment standards. Even though they pose a set of unique obstacles, Indramat is a manufacturer we are proud to service.
Indramat motors get evaluated by experienced technicians who know how to properly test the motors without corrupting the stored data on the encoders or memory boards. Mechanical considerations receive just as much attention as the electrical. Indramat motors refurbished by Servotech do not ship from our doors unless they are “like new,” and will perform to factory standard in the machine at your facility.
1. Evaluation of Your Indramat Servo Motor
Servotech inspects all electrical and mechanical aspects of Indramat servo motors. During our evaluation, we check and look for:
- Bearing fits
- Housing fits
- Worn output shafts
- Corroded and/or broken flanges
- Corrupted data on Heidenhain encoders and resolver memory boards
- Motor torque to ascertain motor magnet strength
A typical Indramat when it arrives in the shop, and then after we service it.
2. Motor Repair
Any part that does not meet factory specifications gets repaired, replaced, or re-manufactured. Often we:
- Remagnetize rotor magnets.
- Reband rotors that have broken magnets.
- Re-manufacture a new Indramat servo motor front flange using the old flange and factory dimensions.
- Repair all the windings. Both AC and DC servo motors windings are washed, baked and tested.
- Repair or replace brush holders and Bake-O-Lite insulation tubes on DC motors.
- Adjust holding brakes for proper pick voltages and torque.
Bad fits, and scuffed end bells will prevent motors from being mounted properly in their machines. Below: One of Servotech’s re-manufactured end bells.
3. Preliminary Testing
Throughout the assembly process, Indramat servo motor repairs are meggered frequently. Some of our tests include:
- Test to confirm there are no grounded electrical parts in the servo motor.
- All AC stators are surge tested to at least 1500 volts.
- After the baking process DC servo motor armatures go through a bar to bar test. This test will show if there are any shorts or openings in the winding.
- Servo motor alignment to stored encoder data specification.
4. Servo Motor Assembly
After repair and preliminary testing, Indramat motors are reassembled. Our assembly process often improves the internal motor components. Our assembled motors utilize:
- High-grade sealed bearings – we feel that each Indramat servo motor repair will have a longer life with sealed bearings because the seals keep dirt and contamination from getting into the bearing races.
- Double lip seals in the front flange – these seals keep coolant from getting to the bearing.
- All new seals, O-rings, gaskets and connectors – ensure that your Indramat servo motor is protected from liquid contamination.
- Replace all hardware, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.
- Two-part epoxy coating for an added protection – the same coating used on Navy submarines.
Top: A typical Heidenhain encoder found on Indramat servo motors. Bottom: An older style “Memory Resolver” assembly which uses a resolver and a circuit board with stored information about the motor and alignment.
5. Final Testing on Indramat Factory Drives
Servotech fields an entire department dedicated to final testing our servo motors. The Indramat servo motor repair process has many steps that need to be properly checked. Our method includes running your motor on a factory drive. We have to ensure that the motor was repaired up to factory standards and will perform under load. New drives are added to our Final Test Department on a regular basis in order to stay up to date with the manufacturer’s changes.
6. Name Plating
Before shipping, Servotech makes all new name plates for each of our servomotor repairs. These new name plates include all the original data from the motor, as well as Servotech’s name, job number, and date codes. This gives customers traceability in regards to their servo motor repair.